What is therapy?
Therapy is a process whereby a client and therapist are both mutually in agreement to work through the clients’ challenges. This may be done through reflection, discussion, and or techniques and strategies applied.
It is definitely a journey of acknowledging and realizing ones’ potential through their belief systems so as to live their best life. But more than that it is also about acknowledging and accepting ones emotions, behaviors, faults and limitations and then reworking them to create new ways of being and behaving. The therapy room is the clients’ safe space to explore their own limitations and also a chance and opportunity to be heard by a nonbiased and nonjudgmental person trained to facilitate new experiences.
Why should I have therapy?
Well, nobody can ever force anyone to have therapy and nor should they. The best time for therapy is when the need comes from within the person. When something is amiss and your feelings don’t sit right, usually we know. We know when something is wrong and heeding that knowing can make all the difference to our growth and learning opportunities in the future. It can make all the difference to our happiness levels, affecting our relationships in work at home or just about anywhere. When I ask the question to my clients’ in their first session, ” What is important to you?”, I can safely say that 99.9% answer the same way – “family – friends – being loved”. Given this information, it can be easily said that this is what we need to work on then. This can be done when we ourselves are aligned and at peace with ourselves and others – well at least for most of the time. That is my intention in life anyway!
The following questions are also helpful to ask yourself when assessing if you need therapy or not:
- What would happen if you did change?
- What would happen if you did not change?
- What would not happen if you changed?
- What would not happen if you did not change?
How do I find the right therapist?
Although this seems like a daunting task when there are so many types of therapists and therapies out there, this is not as difficult as you may feel. You can ask yourself, do you need a counselor – a space to just talk about your feelings about the past or present? This can allow deep healing from within and you may also feel like your concerns have been acknowledged and someone has heard you.
Or are you ready to move on from the past? In this case someone like myself may be perfect for you as I can provide you with strategies that allow this change to happen. You have to be in this space and be ready to make changes by believing and committing yourself – that is all. Once you make a start, new things start to happen by themselves. You just have to do something about it is all. In NLP, there is a saying, “If you keep doing the same thing – you will keep getting the same result” This can be for either negative or positive behaviors. You can decide what you want and start to make changes whenever you want to.
Yes I want therapy so now what?
- Have a read on this website about the types of therapies I provide and see if you are interested. Alternatively you can give me a call to discuss them and I will be happy to help.
- Have a look at the About Me page and see if you feel comfortable with me. Alternatively you can book in for a consultation if you are unsure. A telephone consultation for adults and children is free. A face to face consultation is £25 for the hour – we get to meet and decide whether or not to continue and start building a therapeutic relationship straight away. 🙂
- If you decide to have sessions with me – I will be very pleased to work with you if I can. All you have to do is sign a therapy contract to say that whilst I am doing my bit you will also do your bit towards your own self development! In other words, get with the program and change your life – take control – now!
- Have weekly one hour sessions – usually the same time and day at the clinic. Getting out of your own space, away from your screen, having some valuable ‘ME TIME’ can make you feel better instantly – you will be physically and mentally more committed to your own change process. Plus, my furniture is lovely and comfortable 🙂
- Enjoy feeling better in the process and we will keep reassessing as we go along as to how many sessions you may need. Most people have between 6-10 sessions. Some people have less – it is difficult to say until you start your therapy journey.
- Each one hour session is £85 for the hour – simply because I offer powerful solutions to your challenges from day one! There is however, a £20 discount for 6 sessions booked and paid in advance. This way you always have a slot in the diary and we don’t need to worry about that side of things until you get to session 6.
I hope I have helped you in your decision process and wish you all the best whatever you decide.